You won’t miss the beef with this mushroom stroganoff recipe from Gina at Skinnytaste.com. She has fabulous recipes, and I have to say I’ve loved everything I’ve made from her site and cookbook. I took the picture shown here, but Gina’s pictures do the dish more justice. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Mushroom Stroganoff (Vegetarian)
Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7 pts
Calories: 268 • Fat: 3.5 g • Carbs: 52.5 g • Fiber: 7 g • Protein: 12.5 g • Sugar: 4.5 g
Sodium: 312 (without salt)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium vegetable broth (or beef if you’re a carnivore)
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 5 oz sliced Cremini mushrooms
- 8 oz sliced baby Bella mushrooms
- 3.5 oz Shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine or sherry
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 8 oz uncooked noodles (Ronzoni Smart Taste, Healthy Harvest or No-Yolk)
- 1 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley for garnish
Cook noodles in a pot of salted water according to package directions, I like to under-cook them a bit so I can mix it with the sauce and let it finish cooking.
Meanwhile, while the water starts to boil for the noodles, heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter over medium heat and add onions to the pan. Cook 2 – 3 minutes over medium-low heat.
Add flour; stir with a wooden spoon for 30 seconds. Gradually add broth, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste, stirring constantly. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper; stir and cook 4-5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.